Monday, September 18, 2006

It's not all Gandalf and sheep...

I am a big Kiwi fan. Any country who can host Lord of the Rings and compete globally in the dairy biz with no subsidies is OK in my book.

But it gets better. Look how they handle car insurance:

I've mentioned before that New Zealanders don't sue each other. Part of this is because of the ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation), which is funded through tax dollars, and pays all claims regarding any sort of "Accident" in the country, regardless of fault or visa status. So if I were to trip on the stairwell of the local bar and break my arm, ACC would cover it, and some portion of my lost wages for being unable to type, and so on.

Because of this, Kiwis aren't inclined to sue each other or place blame -- that's up to the authorities. This creates some interesting side-effects. [More]

If only New Zealand was about 5000 miles closer. Or business class was cheaper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. i totally agree. I had the chance to live in Matamata(Hobbiton) NZ and getting a car for me a (19yr at the time) was so much easier. I had a great time traveling the country!