Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Where is Charlton Heston when you need him?...

Call me squeamish, but something about fungus-food that creeps me out.

All Quorn™ products contain mycoprotein. Mycoprotein (“myco” is Greek for “fungi”) is a nutritious member of the fungi family, as are mushrooms, truffles, and morels. The fungus used in all Quorn™ products is Fusarium Venenatum. There are lots of great things about mycoprotein which very few people know, so here are just a few:
- Mycoprotein is a fungus which contains high-quality protein, enabling us to offer an alternative, purely vegetarian source of protein to meat. It is high quality because it has all 9 essential amino acids.
- Mycoprotein is naturally low in fat.
- Mycoprotein also contains very few calories, so we can bring you foods which deliver on taste but which don’t max out on the calorie content.
- Mycoprotein also contains essential dietary fiber, which as we all know, helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Mycoprotein contains zero cholesterol.

- Mycoprotein is completely meat-free and soy-free. [More]
Look, I strongly advocate the right of consumers to choose what foods they want to eat, regardless of where they come from. But fungus?

Somehow the recommendation that it tastes "just like McNuggets" is not reassuring either.

Maybe we are shaped by the media we experience, but I immediately thought of Soylent Green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like mushrooms, morels are a springtime treat, button mushrooms on pizza and in pasta sauces, I've even had a portabella at a restaurant. But they all looked like mushrooms..... This stuff is masquerading as meat just like 'soyburgers'.

For me at least, I want to be able to somewhat identify the ingredients that are in my food.