Thursday, May 31, 2012

Let's see, it's three hours...  

And nine minutes to South Bend (best ever). Slightly over 210 miles. So is this the equivalent of commuting 42 miles each way, 5 days a week?

That may explain my new suits and blood pressure meds...
In other words, a long commute is definitely bad for your blood pressure but it's positively disastrous if it ends up eating into your physical activity time. So a longish walk or bike ride to work probably isn't that bad, but a long drive is disastrous. I really firmly believe that the existence of persistent regular traffic jams is just about the most underrated problem in American public policy, especially because it's a problem we could almost certainly solve relatively easily with a mix of congestion pricing, demand-responsive pricing of street parking, and more bus service.  [More]
I can assume I'll drop 20# and 20 points on the diastolic when I retire, right?

1 comment:

Dave said...

56John you've been in the tractor seat too long. A 42 mile commute EACH way is a total of 84 mile a day and 420 mile a week. From experience I would say you would loose 2 hours out of each day with that commute; not something I want to do although I do travel 30 mile each way today and loose about 1 1/2 hours daily.