Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I've got weed problems enough...

I don't need to make new ones. Consider the following incident:

A farmer pulls a truckload of soybeans onto the pit at the elevator ahead of me, raises the bed, and opens the gate.

Nothing happens. There is a solid wall of beans and ...lambsquarter seeds.

Saw it with my own eyes. Never want to see it again, either.

I've had some end rows myself where the lambsquarters seemed unusually robust, so when rumors of glyphosate-resistant lambsquarters started popping up, I paid attention. (Marestails have never been a big deal for us)

It's not like we couldn't see this coming, for crying out loud. But it's also the case that we could easily postpone the day we negate the utility of glyphosate. I don't claim to be an example, but that's one reason I use dicamba.

Sure it drifts and seems to hurt the neighbor's beans, but they all know I'm good for any damage, and I have never had to actually compensate anyone. Besides, since it's pretty much out of favor, it's gotten cheaper. And it works pretty well on my weed spectrum.

I'm trying some other chemistry like Callisto, just to shut up my neighbors who consider me hopelessly old-fashioned, but I still like cheap.

As we rush to all-corn-all-the-time, there will be a side-effect of all-glyphosate-all-the-time. My theory is that as glyphosate degrades to a market of buy-one-get-one-free, we can afford to splash in something extra to delay resistance.

No comments: