Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Uh-oh...

Corn growers are about to see another market test.

According to Beverage Industry Magazine, Pepsi will be launching "Pepsi Throwback" and "Mountain Dew Throwback," both of which contain sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. The logos, seen above, were found through a search of the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Electronic Search System by BevReview.com, which reports that the trademarks were filed on January 9, 2009.
Sugar-soda aficionados seek out Kosher for Passover and Mexican versions due to the lack of HFCS, and Pepsi has been experimenting with sugar-sweetened versions of their soft drinks overseas. (See: Pepsi Raw) [More]

No amount of public relations handiwork can completely overcome consumer preference when they simply are choosing what they like.  The question is: what do they like?

Will you try it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had sugar-based Coca-Cola while in Ireland for a study abroad. I preferred the good ole HFCS stuff (familiarity, I suppose), but did prefer the Irish stuff as a "mixer." Of course, a little bit of cola goes a loooong ways in their distilled beverages.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely try Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwbacks! I would be happy to see how sugar tastes in sodas. My real soda preference is Diet Coke Plus and Diet Coke Splenda mixed evenly and poured over Diet Coke ice cubes! I know there is no Pepsi product that can approach the taste of that! Of course, my two most favorite drinks are ice water and Horizon Organic whole milk.