Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I think I still believe...

In the dreams of these space colonies.


 
  
  
[More]
Two things of note in these idealizations.
  1. The belief in the rightness of going into space was commonly held.  While there were skeptics, the idea of colonizing in space was not yet seen as ridiculously beyond our capacity.
  2. The Apollonian view of agriculture (orderly, disciplined) is apparent.  The scenes look like northern Europe or Yorkshire, not Nebraska or Indonesia.  This powerful vision of what the "country" should look like remains in most minds today, I believe.
Truly, I was motivated by images like these to study engineering.  Engineers were the guys who supplied the technology to put dreams into reality.  

Even now, as I view these fantasies, I have no regrets in aiming for a future suggested in these visions.

No comments: