Thursday, May 07, 2009

Microsoft tries again...

And maybe misses again.
We loaded the Windows 7 Release Candidate on three systems (two desktops and a laptop) and then ran our WorldBench 6 suite. Afterward we compared the results with the WorldBench 6 numbers from the same three systems running Windows Vista. Each PC was slightly faster when running Windows 7, but in no case was the overall improvement greater than 5 percent, our threshold for when a performance change is noticeable to the average user. [More]
According to friends still using Vista, it is better than when I dropped out of the Window pain [heh].   But this is not promising for MS.

I can just see the commercials.

4 comments:

mjb said...

I have to disagree, I do tech support and I'm in love with 7. Best OS for pc's I've used.

Anonymous said...

Vista wasn't fully polished when it was released. Mac ripped Microsoft apart and the marketing worked, even the SP1 fixed most of the bugs most people notice.

I also challenge you, Mr. Phipps, to upgrade your Mac with anything that Steve Jobs doesn't keep in a warehouse.

John Phipps said...

mjb; jay:

Thanks for your comments. I realize this is subject which is well...subjective. But after seventeen years of Windows machines (at least 12 that I could count) I figure MS has gotten their fair share of loyalty from me. (Read the back posts from the Dark Days of Early Vista)

No hard feelings, but I really like my iMac and MacBook and so does Jan. Until they let me down like MS did, I'm staying put.

That said, your experience may vary, as they say.

Anonymous said...

I've overclocked and water-cooled my computer, so I'm partial to Windows for their massive amount of hardware support. I would go to Linux, but I can't find any drivers for my sound card in Linux, as of a few months ago.