Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A geek odyssey begins...



Unpacked my new iMac yesterday (in the kitchen - not a happy development for SWMBO) and I will be blogging about my conversion experiences. My sorry episodes with Vista and the urging of commenters led me to this drastic state.

First impression: There is ONE cable to connect. The power cord which goes in the back. It linked to my current wireless router instantly.


I ordered the wireless keyboard (tiny) and mouse (I miss the two buttons already). [CD case shown for size comparison]

The computer shipped with Leopard included, but not installed. That went fine - as far as I know. Right now I'm just getting into the different basic commands and unlearning Windows habits.

More later.

[Return to AgWeb]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Macintosh owner myself, but I never use Apple's mice...I have a two-button Logitech with a scroll wheel. Apple has built-in support for multi-button mice, but still continues to refuse to provide one themselves...I've never quite understood it.

Anonymous said...

John, you were incredible in Dan Rather's piece on the farm bill--I mention it (and you) in Mulch...

http://johnwphipps.blogspot.com

and link to it here:

http://www.ewg.org/node/25694

BTW, congratulations on the new iMac. EWG has been a Mac shop for 16 years. As you'll find out, it's the only way to go.

Anonymous said...

Oops, wrong link to Mulch. Should be:

http://www.mulchblog.com/2007/11/farm_bill_dan_rather_reports_o.php

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken

Unknown said...

I exited from all Microsoft on 2/17/2000...
I ran Linux until 11/07
I now ran a Mac. I got the cheapest Mac out there, the Mac Mini. It only cost me $600.
Instead of running Ms office, I run NeoOffice, which is an offshoot of Open Office. Other than spending $30 on a Keyboard/mouse/usb adapter, I have spent $0 on extras. No virus software, no "necessary" this and that which cost you extra. I do miss linux a bit but not the trip through, Win 2000, Win millineum, Win XP and Vista. Win 7 is on the way to "save" you. :-)
I use the cheapest optical mouse out there, and when my keyboard breaks I go to the thrift store and get one for $2.50. My current thrift store special is a Dell model. $5, but I got it on half off day for $2.50....
MarkP