(OK - one guy, but that's about as popular as I ever get.)
The Phipps Farm Policy
- Repeal the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 (Look - if Congress passed it, Congress can repeal it, despite being named "permanent")
- End all farm subsidies, market orders, sugar quotas, dairy programs, and crop insurance subsidies. Totally and immediately.
- Move food stamps, WIC, etc. to HHS.
- Move foreign food aid to State Dept.
- Move the Forest Service and conservation stuff to Interior.
- Consolidate all food inspection work into the FDA.
- Subcontract NASS functions to the lowest bidder (Accenture, Deloitte, etc.). Make crop reports weekly on Sunday morning during the season and all objective. Make all other reports more frequent, at least as often as monthly. In short, make ag reports like other industry formats.
- Whatever remains of USDA (ERS, etc.) is made a subsection of Commerce just like other industries many times our economic size.
- Encourage the development of a professional body for self-regulation of farmer qualifications like the AMA and medical boards.
- Rent the USDA buildings. Remove one chair from the Cabinet meeting.
It's probably a little too liberal for many...