Monday, December 07, 2009

Why e-readers will take over...

Competition is adding features needed.  Consider this ability on the Nook by B & N:
Another potentially nifty feature is the ability to lend digital books to a friend who’s using a Nook or an iPhone or computer running Barnes & Noble’s e-reader software. If your offer to lend is accepted, the book appears on the borrower’s device for 14 days, while it’s locked on yours for the duration.
The two-week period can’t be extended, nor can the same person borrow the book again. While that lack of flexibility might be a bit of a drag, at least you’re guaranteed to get your book back. Not all publishers will let their books be lent, but Barnes & Noble says more than half of the commercial e-books in its million-title store will be available. The feature hasn’t yet launched; in testing over the weekend, I was able to borrow books, but not lend them. [More]

Think the Kindle won't add that feature soon?  Me neither.  Suddenly, the gripe about sharing books with friends is ended, and hard copies become less important.


Still, I dream of better coverage from Sprint for my Kindle.

5 comments:

Brian in Central IL said...

If I remember the marketing material you can browse ebooks while in B&N. So how do I get one? Will you talk to my Wife?

John Phipps said...

Brian:

So far the reviews have been so-so for the Nook. It's slow, for one thing.

I'm sticking with my Kindle and giving them for Christmas.

Brian in Central IL said...

You say you are giving Kindles for Christmas... you know you have always been my favorite blogger, and quite frankly no one holds a candle to your broadcasts on USFR.

John Phipps said...

Brian:

Good try...really good.

Brian in Central IL said...

It's what I do