Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Old enemies, old grudges...

One of the attractions for our trip to the Baltic was a chance to visit (slightly) Russia. The ship spent 2 days in St. Petersburg and I did the tourist things: Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, Hermitage, etc. as a shuffling member of a busload of senior tourists. Not my first choice, but pretty much the only one.

What weirded me out was my apprehension and inability to relax. Long ago and far away these people were my enemy, and I spent a fair portion of my twenties chasing Charlie-class submarines not too far away from where I was currently standing.

Old animosities die hard, and while my perceptions were doubltess skewed by my history, I would not go back to Russia again if you paid me. Compared to our other stops, the atmosphere was morose and almost sullen. The people were not unfriendly, but the reality of life in Russia today constantly showed through the tourism effort.

Russia may be on her way back to autocracy, and if history is any guide, authoritarianism there is a powerful political lure, unlike democracy. The two-tiered development and new riches from energy resources could hasten the process, creating a new ruling class to dominate similar to the old Politburo.

Already values are changing, and not always for the best. I hope I am wrong, and I wish the people of Russia the best of luck. But their leadership does not strike me as the most promising.

No comments: