Monday, August 14, 2006

The organic lure, and the organic cure...

While most milk producers are not having a good year, organic dairies are seeing record demand for their product. In fact, there is talk of shortages.

The big problem I see with organic milk production is it is non-differentiable - you cannot take a sample of milk as far as I know and perform a test that will prove it is organic. You simply have to believe what the seller says. This also makes cheating pretty easy.

Anecdotal reports indicate organic milk tastes better. This seems to be a common thread with all organic production, but I can't find any rigorous blind taste-testing results.

Despite my reservations, I am satisfied that we have in place a way to handle this difference of opinion fairly and efficiently.

It's called a supermarket.

No comments: