Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Not quite a total time-suck...

But close. Check out this interactive map of counties that displays dozens of different demographic, economic and ag statistics. This one shows percent of farm operators over 65, for example.


[Click to embiggen]

Powerful graphics tools like this often show patterns, trends, oddities, and simple surprises you would not notice in a table of numbers. Here's a population rate of change showing how IL counties are essentially depopulating unless you have a university, medical or other government powerhouse - or are a collar county.


The more I use tools like this, the less I am certain about my own home and community. We see it from too close up for real perspective.
Find your own revelatory map and send me a screen shot/link and I'll post it.




No comments: