Sunday, September 01, 2013

Does this really happen?...

 Part of an e-mail from a friend:
On the grain front, got a call from my closest grain dealer, asking me to change delivery of my remaining August corn to his elevator in southern Lancaster County. He is loading trucks to go to Georgia with corn and does not have enough in the bins to fill the trucks!!! Apparently there is an area that needs corn and likely does not have rail access. The trucks are hauling wheat to the flour mills in this area and taking corn back. Can you say 'long haul'. The story is there is corn nearby, but rain is delaying harvest, so they are coming to Pa, an already corn deficit state for 'surplus' corn.
There are stories of some 1 million bushels still in bins in Pa however. I talked to a trucker who was loading corn out of a bin that the producer told him was 4 years old. I just wondered where he has been the last 2 years with an opportunity to sell in the last 14 months at 9.69 a bushel. I also realize that the truth sometimes can get in the way of a good story.


Man, I have trouble keeping corn until June.  I can't imagine 4-year old corn, but I've hear these stories all my life.  We had trouble with bins picking up moisture this spring, so Maybe they dry it to 12% or something.

Meanwhile, I have always needed to turn grain into money to like, buy groceries, and pay off loans, so maybe I never really had the right circumstances.

FWIW, we had a storm last night to boost our August rain total to .51", which means it won't be a new record low. While there was modest wind, it sure broke a lot of corn over. Is it me or are new hybrids remarkably wind-sensitive?

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Well, I've seen what our local elevator does. They take that 4 year old stuff - green, stinking, clumped - and blend with the new corn we're hauling in.

Chuck said...

Well, I've seen what our local elevator does. They take that 4 year old stuff - green, stinking, clumped - and blend with the new corn we're hauling in.

Chuck said...

Sorry, your hyper-aggressive captcha security said my first comment was denied, so I tried again. But both went through.

And these folks are going to bring us driveless cars?