Last week was a really long travel/speaking week. Coupled with tax prep, my prayer meeting with my banker, and long hours in transit, I just couldn't get up the energy. I will offer some miscellaneous observations:
- My new 2011 Chevrolet Equinox is really great. Much quieter and smoother than Zippy (Vibe). Mileage around 27-28 all told.
- Just when you thought you couldn't possibly pay any more for a cup of coffee, you fall in love with one of these contraptions. I had one in my hotel room at AgConnect, and I actually used it.
- The dairy industry is defying financial gravity, it seems to me. One producer told be he still has a backlog of bills, but is at least staying current with new ones. I think we are on the verge of decimating the midsized herds, and even collapse a few very large operations.
- WI farmland prices may be the most spectacularly umm, enthusiastic of all.
- On at least three occasions, my remarks about ending direct payments did NOT meet with hissing and open animosity. Of course, maybe nobody was paying attention.
- American Airlines is flying more regional jets instead of real 3x3-across jets. Many of them used to be Brazilian Embraers. But the new ones are Bombardier's CRJ-700. The cramped spacing is the same on both, but the CRJ seats really kill my back - something I've never experienced. The seat seems harder and curved differently. Maybe it's a good thing it's harder to book flights on AA.
- I am the last person in any major airport without an iPad.