Monday, July 18, 2011

Early harvest strategy...

This note from my buddy in PA:
My local grain dealer, (my Cargill for you) says basis will likely hit $2.00 here by September, and he believes harvesting and drying 28% corn to deliver IMMEDIATELY to the local mills will likely be very well rewarded during the last half of September. Who would have thought?
This idea occurred to me as we started planting, and I switched much of my corn to an earlier variety. It completed pollination last week and is moving rapidly to ear fill. My theory is just what my friend alludes to. I didn't have storage for everything and my discussions with the elevator is they will be scratching for corn to load out for the southeast.

What I'm hoping for is some kind of cheap (or free!) drying for stuff around 20% or so.


No comments: